In 1953, a group of individuals in St. Jacobs got together to form their own Lions Club so as to serve the community in ways that they could not as individuals. The founding charter was granted on October 14, 1953 and presented by the sponsoring Waterloo Lions Club at a Charter Night held at Leisure World in Preston on November 12, 1953. Since that time the tradition of community involvement has continued and evolved.
The club held its first meetings at the Dominion Hotel and later upstairs in the old Fire Hall on King Street with the members’ wives catering the meals. In 1967 as part of the Centennial Celebration, the Lions of St Jacobs with the assistance of a Township of Woolwich Centennial Grant and a 10-year mortgage paid for by the club, built the St Jacobs Lions Hall (originally named the Woolwich Community Centre) which was then deeded to the Township. To this day, the Club continues to administer and maintain the hall.
The Lions of St Jacobs work on many projects for the area, as well as Regional, Provincial and International concerns. We wish to continue our efforts for humanity, and are actively looking for more caring individuals who can give a little of their time and energies to help those who cannot help themselves.